Introducing Work-Integrated Education
Practical work experience is critical for students to become all-round professionals who possess an appropriate level of operational experience and an understanding of industry operations and managerial decision making. For this reason, the SHTM incorporates Work-Integrated Education (WIE) as a mandatory component of all undergraduate programme curriculums.
WIE provides a work-based learning experience that takes place in an organisational context relevant to each student's future profession or to the development of generic skills that are valued . in that profession. The focus is to help students develop a range of valuable abilities and to provide opportunities where they can apply theories to real-life situations.
Objectives of Work-Integrated Education
Upon successful completion of their placements, students should have:
- Gained experience in a relevant industry sector
- Developed and acquired skills through practical work experience
- Applied classroom theory in practical settings
- Learned to appreciate industry practice and the importance of service quality
- Developed people skills through interactions with peers, subordinates and supervisors
- Developed positive attitudes as hospitality professionals
The SHTM offers a Bachelor of Science (Honours) programme in Hotel Management and a Bachelor of Science (Honours) programme in Tourism and Events Management.
To graduate, students must complete seven WIE training credits by satisfactorily completing the following two components:
- The subject Professional Development (one training credit), and
- Six months of placement on a full-time basis, or, in special circumstances, 960 hours of cumulative work experience on a part-time basis (six training credits).
|Option One||July (Year Two) to December (Year Three)||Six-month placement|
|Option Two||January (Year Three) to June (Year Three)||Six-month placement|
|Option Three||June (Year Two) to August (Year Three)||960 hours of cumulative work experience|
All Hotel Management students will undertake industrial placement either locally in Hotel ICON or overseas in SHTM-approved hospitality organisations. All Tourism and Events Management students will undertake industrial placement either in local tourism or event organisations or in SHTM-approved hospitality organisations overseas.