- QWhat is Academic Advising?
Academic Advising provides students with guidance, support, and encouragement, helping them to diminish the confusion that comes with a new environment, clarify their goals, and get the most out of their education.1 At the School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM), this means giving students the proper advice to ensure that their study is on the right track.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) and the SHTM provide Academic Advising to students upon their entry into a degree programme, up through the time they finish their study and graduate. Students registered in four-year degree programmes are required to see their respective Academic Advisor at least once per semester, and at least twice per year.
"Procrastination is the thief of time."1
If you need advice or answers about your study, have questions about your programme, or have encountered any other non-academic issues that may have a bearing on your academic study, you should approach your Academic Advisor immediately. Being proactive in getting assistance will help you avoid running into additional difficulties later on that might complicate your academic progress or cause you to end up failing a subject – the last thing you want in your study. Please, do not hesitate to contact your Academic Advisor. If they are not available, contact your Undergraduate Secretary in their stead.
1 Houland, Anderson, Noel-Levitz, McGuire, & Crockett, 1997.
- QAcademic Advising within SHTM
Currently, the School maintains a total of 40 Academic Advisors (AA) and one Undergraduate Secretary (US), as required by the University under the Academic Advising system:
- Eight Academic Advisors are assigned for Year One BSc Hotel Management/Tourism & Events Management
- Eight Academic Advisors are assigned for Year Two BSc Hotel Management/Tourism & Events Management
- Seven Academic Advisors are assigned for Year Three BSc Hotel Management/Tourism Management
- Ten Academic Advisors are assigned for Year Four BSc Hotel Management/Tourism Management
- Seven Academic Advisors are assigned for Senior Year Hotel Management/Tourism Management
For contact information for the School's Academic Advisors and Undergraduate Secretary, please consult our Academic Advisor List.
- QWhat benefits does Academic Advising offer?
Regular, proper Academic Advising can assist students in:
- Exploring their personal and academic goals and values
- Understanding their academic strengths and weaknesses
- Understanding their graduation requirements
- Developing a study plan to achieve their goals
- Exploring solutions when they encounter problems