As part of the SHTM's belief in innovation in education, the School continuously seeks out new ways to improve on traditional teaching methods. One of the School's pioneer efforts in this area was its "Professor for a Day" programme, wherein industry professionals are invited to speak to students in specific subject lectures. Each year, the SHTM hosts around 200 such lectures in different subjects to help students gain a deeper understanding of the industry.
The School also introduced the "Dean's Distinguished Lecture" series, in which outstanding individuals speak to the entire SHTM student body, sharing their personal successes, experience and philosophy. Past distinguished speakers have included:
- Actor and Honorary Professor Jackie Chan, Asia Pacific Tourism Ambassador, UNWTO
- Dr Lawrence Wong, former Chief Executive, The Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Mr Peter de Jong, former President & CEO, Pacific Asia Travel Association
- Mr Robert Burns, Chairman, The Robert Burns Hotel Group
- Dr Ho Kwon Ping, Executive Chairman, Banyan Tree Holdings Limited
- Mr Edwin Fuller, former President & Managing Director, International Lodging, Marriott International
- Mr Steve Kleinschmidt, former President, Marco Polo Hotels
- Mr Larry Tchou, Senior Advisor – Greater China, Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Mr John Slosar, Chairman, Cathay Pacific Airways
- Mr Stanley Hui, former Chief Executive Officer, Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Ms Belinda Yeung, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, Regal Hotels International Holdings Limited
- Mr Robert Earl, Chairman and CEO, Planet Hollywood International
- Mr Jing Xu, Executive Secretary and Director for Asia, UNWTO
- Ms Suphajee Suthumpun, Group Chief Executive Officer, Dusit International
- Dr Jennifer Cronin, President, Wharf Hotels Management Limited
- Mr Grant Bowie, Chief Executive Officer & Executive Director of MGM China Holdings Ltd
- Mr Girish Jhunjhnuwala, Founder & CEO of Ovolo Hotels
The SHTM's main campus is located in Hong Kong, amidst the sophisticated facilities of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). In Mainland China, the School also offers masters and doctorate courses at the Zhejiang University–The Hong Kong Polytechnic University International Executive Development Centre, located at the Zhejiang University campus in Hangzhou.
In addition, the SHTM enriches its classroom lectures with field trips, as well as student exchange agreements with some of the world's most famous hospitality and tourism institutions in Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mainland China, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.