QWhy do I need Academic Advising?

Academic Advising helps students pursue the best path throughout their studies at SHTM and PolyU. Following this advice will help you ensure that you study the right subjects, on the right track, at the right time, and according to your interests. It will also help you avoid taking subjects that could hinder your progress or delay your graduation.

To make the most out of your four-year study at SHTM and PolyU, we encourage you to take full advantage of Academic Advising.

QWho is eligible for Academic Advising under the new four-year degree structure?

Students registered in these four-year undergraduate degree programmes are eligible for Academic Advising under the new structure:

  • Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Hotel Management (Programme code: 24442-HMH)
  • Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Tourism & Events Management (Programme code: 24442-HMV)
QIf I am not registered in the above three programmes, am I still eligible for Academic Advising?

Yes. The SHTM provides Academic Advising for all of its students, even those not registered in the above programmes. Names and contact information of Academic/Student Advisors under the old structure are available for your reference. You may also contact your respective Programme Leader or Coordinator:

Dr Eric Chan
Undergraduate Programme Director and Programme Leader of
Four-Year Bachelor Scheme in Hospitality and Tourism:

  • Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Hotel Management (programme code: 24442-HMH)
  • Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Tourism and Events Management (programme code: 24442-HMV)

Please consult the faculty directory for Dr Chan's contact information. 

QAre "Academic Advisor", "Academic Counsellor", and "Undergraduate Secretary" different titles for the same person? Whom should I approach first?

No, they are not the same person. You can find more information on the people in each of these positions below.

Whenever you have questions or problems with your study, you should approach your Academic Advisor first. You may also contact your respective Programme Leader. Dr Eric Chan is the Programme Leader for the four-year degree programmes.

QWho are the School's Academic Advisors?

The Academic Advisors are professors assigned by the SHTM. They will provide you with timely and useful advice on both academic and non-academic matters relating to your study, to make sure that you are on the right track. They will also help you understand, manage, and tackle any problems and difficulties you may encounter throughout your study.

QWho is the School's Undergraduate Secretary?

The Undergraduate Secretary is assigned directly by the SHTM, and acts as a liaison between the Department/School and the Office of General University Requirements (OGUR). Within the SHTM, the Undergraduate Secretary also acts as Acting Academic Advisor, and can provide appropriate Academic Advising to students who are not able to see their Academic Advisor.

QWho are the Academic Counsellors?

Academic Counsellors do not come from SHTM. Rather, they are staff from the OGUR, one of the two sub-offices under the Office of Undergraduate Studies (OUS). The other sub-office is the Office of Service Learning (OSL).

Academic Counsellors can provide useful and timely advice on General University Requirements (GUR) to degree students under the four-year structure. 

For enquiries and appointments:

Office of General University Requirements
Room TU435, 4/F TU Wing, PolyU main campus
Office hours: 8:45am-5:15pm (Mon-Fri), 9am-12noon (Sat)
Telephone: 3400-8203 / 3400-8207