- QWhat are General University Requirements (GUR)?
GURs are subjects that all PolyU students MUST take, irrespective of their major of study.
GURs consist of the following components:
Total GUR credits: 30
- Freshman Seminar (Three Credits)
- Language & Communication Requirements (LCR) (Nine Credits)
- English (Six Credits) + Chinese (Three Credits)
- Leadership and Intra-Personal Development (Three Credits)
- Cluster-Area Requirements (CAR) (12 Credits, across four clusters)
Note: A minimum of three credits must be on subjects designated as "China-related". In addition, students must fulfil the Reading and Writing requirements in both Chinese and English.
The four clusters are:
- Human Nature, Relations and Development (Three Credits)
- Community, Organisation and Globalisation (Three Credits)
- History, Cultures and World Views (Three Credits)
- Science, Technology and Environment (Three Credits)
- Service-Learning (Three Credits)
- Healthy Lifestyle (non-credit bearing)
We suggest that all four-year degree students follow the GUR progression plan shown below:
If in doubt, contact your Academic Advisor or Undergraduate Secretary first. We may refer you to the appropriate Academic Counsellor for further counseling relating to GURs.
Introduction Academic Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Academic Advisors List for 2018/19 General University Requirements (GUR)