To be considered for this programme, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A Master's degree with a significant thesis/dissertation research component, at least one degree in hospitality and tourism management or a closely related field, and at least two years of industry work experience.
- Candidates without the prescribed educational and industry backgrounds may be admitted on an exceptional basis. Such students will have to obtain relevant industry experience prior to enrolment or during the first year of enrolment, and undertake extra coursework as determined by the supervisor and/or School Research Committee.
- Candidates whose Master's degrees did not include thesis/dissertation research components must provide other documented evidence of previous scholarly research experience.
English Language Requirements
Applicants who do not have a degree for which English was the language of instruction at a recognised university must provide one of the following as proof of language proficiency:
- A minimum score of 580 in paper-based test (with a score of at least 4 or above in the Test of Written English) or 92 in internet-based test (with a writing score of 23 or above) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- A Band Score of at least 6.5 overall (with score for the writing component at 6.0 or above) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Applicants may be required to attend interviews or take tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
All applications must be made online via PolyU's Academic Secretariat eAdmission system.
Applications for the 2019/20 PhD programme are now closed. The School will normally begin accepting applications for 2020/21 PhD programme in early September 2019.
Applicants should submit also the following documents together with their completed applications:
- A personal statement, including a self-introduction, career aspirations, and reasons for pursuing study in this programme (400 words or less);
- A thesis/dissertation research proposal (download Form RDC/1A)
- A personal resume (CV), which should specify the duration (in month/year) and type (i.e. full-time/part-time/internship) of work experience;
- Bachelor's and Master's degree graduation certificates;
- Official copies of study transcripts from all colleges and universities attended;
- Official English language test results (TOEFL/IELTS) (applicable only for applicants who do not have a degree for which English was the language of instruction at a recognised university);
- Two academic referees' reports (to be submitted by the referees);
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores, if available (this is not a requirement).
Thesis/Dissertation Research Proposal
Admission to the Ph.D. programme is highly competitive and depends largely on the quality and relevance of the thesis/dissertation research proposal, which highlights the direction of research intended. This proposal should be between 1,200 and 1,800 words in length (excluding references), and should use the following structure: Project Title, Project Objectives (Purpose of the proposed investigation), Scope and Background of Research (Identify key issues/problems to be addressed), Conceptual Framework, Research Methodology, and Project Significance and Value.